Friday, January 02, 2009

...another year has gone by...

The classic countdown was done. The trumpets were blown. The crowd cheered. The fireworks were set off and colored the skies with beautiful sparks.
And, just like that, 2008 went out with a bang.


2008 was terribly fun and full of surprises. It was tough. And yes, it was certainly nothing short of eventful.
Indeed, so much has happened during the past three hundred and sixty five days.

Obama won the election. Beijing Olympics became a great success surrounded by fakes and intrigues. Leona Lewis bled love all over the music charts worldwide. The Bali bombers were finally executed. Rudd generated controversy by apologizing to the Stolen Generations. Vampires suddenly became the world's number one teenage obsession after Edward Cullen stole the show *shakes head*. Katy Perry kissed a girl and liked it. Rihanna earned herself a Grammy for a song she didn't even write and in which she barely sang. BlackBerry phones became the hottest thing in town. Britney Spears bounced back and reclaimed her pop princess throne, sorta. Bush got shoes thrown at him. Wikipedia became a reliable source for finding the answer to all life's questions. Joker finally had more news coverage than Batman for the very first time in superhero history. People flocked to YouTube and turned it into a new form of television. More recently, our favorite famewhore Paris Hilton was criticized about spending $4000 while shopping on Chapel St (yes, the one in Melbourne, peoples!). And oh, last but not least, a severe economic crisis invaded the world and scared everyone off.

If 2008 has taught us anything at all, I'd say it has definitely reminded us that the one thing that is thoroughly certain in this world is uncertainty. That chaos always coexists with order, and that no matter how established, well-regulated, and advanced a civilization structure is, destruction is always lurking in the shadow, waiting for a chance to strike. After all, it is what helps the Grand Design stay in balance. America gave us a good example of that.

So, yeah. What a year.
I think that basically covers it. *sighs*

For me personally, 2008 also witnessed some of my most personal moments worthy of remembering.

I slowly grew out of my childishness and was able to see the world from a different, more mature perspective. I saw things, I heard things, I said things, I experienced things, and I made a lesson out of them. I fell in love with Melbourne. I made amazing friends. I expressed my honesty. I lowered my guard down and found acceptance. I found my share of freedom. 2008 saw me trying to get out of my own comfort zone to strive for independence. It saw me rise. It saw me fall. And I had earned a lot from every single day that passed in 2008.

The year had been great, for me, on a personal level. It made me realize just how blessed I really was. I still am, have always been, and will always be so, too.
So, in turn, I won't ask for anything more. Everything is just right, nothing more, nothing less. I'm right where I should be. I've got everything I need. I've got freedom, happiness, and love. What more can I possibly ask for, then? *smiles*

After all, we humans may be anything, but selfless is never what we are, by nature.
If we don't start learning to be thankful for each and everything that we have, I can assure you, nothing is ever gonna be enough, for real. It has to start from ourselves first.

I'm never one to envy the pointless. I'm never gonna fall into the same loophole ever again. I've known better this time, to realize that there is much more to life than all the superficial and meaningless mumbo-jumbo the world may offer. I'm tired of being part of the crowd. I'm sick of being lost in a blur of unnamed faces. It's time to rise up, to be different, to aim high and reach for the sky. My future starts here, right here, and I ain't gonna blow it by doing anything stupid. Promise. *bows*

But hey, I'm gonna have time to be all grown-up and boring later.
In the meantime, I'm welcoming 2009 with my hands open wide. I'm excited to see what this new year is gonna bring me, and where it will lead me to. It's a year of struggle, and changes too. But we're all hardy by nature, no? I'm sure we'll all get through it just fine.

I'm up for the challenge. I'm ready for the ride. And I do hope it's gonna be a rewarding one!

Welcome 2009! =)

1 comment:

unee said...

I like the way you wrote down what happened in 2008,internationally speaking. Especially about the vampire stuff. Haha.

Oh well, we got no other choice but to welcome 2009,right ? It ain't leaving even if we throw it out the window.

Wishing you all the best this year,J. And definitely looking forward for more stories and all :)