Thursday, October 23, 2008

...sipping my guilt under a willow tree...

Currently listening to: Twisted - Brian McFadden


.ablueskyholiday.
Monash University Bus Interchange, Clayton, Nov 22 2008


I just had a warm glass of milk and am feeling sleepy all of a sudden. *yawns*

Been studying at Caulfield all day. The library was packed as hell, full of people doing revisions and cramming and such. No pun intended, but today I got a confirmation for the well-known stereotype that in the Caulfield campus, Australians are far outnumbered by Asians. The yellows outnumber the whites, so to speak. And I know this probably won't come as a shock, but most of those Asians are fobs, excluding those handful few born Down Under.

While I was there, I felt as though I wasn't studying inside the library of a respected Australian university. It strangely felt like I was in, like, a university library in Hong Kong, or something. And don't get me wrong. I really don't hate Hong Kong and all, and I think there's nothing wrong with seeing a lot of Asians at Caulfield, not at all.

It's just that it bugs me to see that some Asian people just don't know how to behave in public . This is not a generalization, and as an Asian person myself, this really bothers me.

I mean, some of them just don't know when to be quiet and when to make noises!
It somehow seems like, whenever you see a group of Asians nearby, you can almost always expect to see a parade of colorful clothes, hear a lot of incomprehensible chatters, and an get attacked by an almost-intolerable amount of noise. *sighs*

For instance, there was this Chinese girl sitting near me in one of the quiet study area at Level 4. At one time, she was talking to somebody on the phone with such an annoyingly loud voice right in the middle of the quiet area, so loud and screechy that she made me want to, like, go up to her and strangle her with her fake LV handbag or something. And the conversation went on for like 20 minutes, fgs! *shakes head*

And oh, there was also this really noisy group of Asian guys gathering around a computer in the computer area on Level 3, chattering away. I happened to be sitting nearby, and apparently they were all laughing over some silly video on YouTube or something. They were all speaking in a strange tongue I couldn't understand, and I don't wanna be judgmental and all, but please, have some respect, and show some tolerance toward others while you're in public!

Oh well. *shakes head*
Perhaps I should stop this rant before things get out of hand and I end up insulting my own kind.

Anyway.
While I was there, after a couple hours of studying - stretching - yawning - Facebook-ing - and hand-cramping, I kinda received some sort of a - I dunno if this is the right term for it - a reality check, or something.
Well I dunno, but constantly seeing people cramming and panicking right in front of my eyes slowly made me start squirming with uneasiness. And I realized that this was really happening. Exams. Freaking exams.

It's once again that time of the year. The time of frantic, of panic, and sleepless nights, and countless cups of coffee. The time when people will finally start camping in libraries, spend some time to get to know their lecture slides and summaries better, skip lunches and dinners and get hooked up on all forms of caffeine, from the smooth to the deadly, and even sleeping at night will be a luxury for many.

Ah, good times. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, though. *grins*
Thank God my exams don't start till November 3rd. At the very least, I can sort of space out my revision sessions and slack a little bit more. But I gotta put a lot more effort into preparing for the exams if I wanna see great results coming through. Oh well.

Just another month to go, and then I'll be spending my Summer back home!
*smiles earnestly at the thought*

For the time being, I gotta keep my level of motivation as high as possible. Eat well, sleep well, revise well. And of course, stay healthy.

Good luck for y'all whose exams have started!
We can get through this. Yes we can! *grins*

Buh-bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture, as always ;-)

Anonymous said...

Nice picture, as always ;-)