Thursday, October 30, 2008

...a superhuman heart beats in me...

Currently listening to: Superhuman - Chris Brown ft. Keri Hilson


.beforesunset.
St. Kilda Rd, Tram Stop 29, Sept 5 2008


First off, a big, proud smile goes out to Agnes for graduating today.
Congratulations! *claps*
So our favorite Samurai Girl is now officially a Bachelor of Business graduate, fresh from the tertiary education oven, so to speak. *laughs*

Yeah I know that was cheesy but you get my point.
Once again, congrats! =)

Moving on to a less festive issue...

Reality check: It's just a few days away from November 3 and I am so not ready for exams.
*runs around screaming*

Long story short?
Revision hasn't been going so well. I've only got like four days left before my first exam and my revision notes aren't even done! Not to mention attempting to do past exam questions; how the heck am I supposed to start writing answers if I haven't even finished reviewing all the examinable materials?

Well, at least today I was quite productive, finishing one huge topic about FDIs plus two other subtopics before I got really sick of the intimidating silence in the library and set off to go home. I even managed to attend Agnes's graduation in between breaks!
Efficiency
's never been my forte, so it's not my fault that now I'm gloating over it. *laughs*

And for some reason I can't help but feel that my hard work today was rewarded by an unspeakable event that happened this evening. Not gonna go into details about that, but yeah, let's just say that unspeakable event made me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Oooo-yeah. Talk about self-pride. *winks*

Anyway.
There's something that I wanna share to you guys here.

For you who don't know, back in high school I used to work as a freelance journalist at a local newspaper in Jakarta named Warta Kota. I was part of an all-high-school team of writers who were in charge of writing the teenage section of the weekend papers. I worked there for about a year and a half, including a one-month hiatus during my year 12 final exams, and only resigned because I was moving to Melbourne.

The job was really fun and challenging at the same time, and I wasn't there for the money at all since the pay was nothing compared to the experiences I gained during my active period of employment. I had a chance to learn about the nuts and bolts of commercial journalism from some of the best journalists in Indonesia, and got the pleasure of working with a bunch of talented, passionate writers. Oh, and since I was mainly in charge of the entertainment section of the column, I also got the chance to talk to, interview, and even meet a number of celebrities! *laughs*

The co-workers were cool, and fun, and nice, and all hardworking. The so-called "big boss" was adorable and funny, but respectable nonetheless. The actual weekend columns were like little poles of achievement. And it was so much more than just a freelance job. I took it as a valuable learning process.


the original 2006-2007 team, with the "big boss" on the far left of the first row

Ah, good times.
*stares dreamily into space*

And this is where the story comes into perspective.
A couple of days ago I received messages from two long-lost colleagues on Friendster. Both of them were in the original lineup of the team as well, being two of the most talented ones in the original group, but one of them dropped out halfway through due to health reasons.

Yeah. So they messaged me, asking me how I'd been. And I can't say that I wasn't surprised when I saw those messages 'cuz I didn't think that they would still remember me after all these years! Being the good-mannered boy that I am *wink wink*, I replied, and the rest was history.

A few days after that, another long-lost colleague messaged me, this time to my cell-phone. She was one of the few people from the team who actually have my Australian mobile number, and we do still keep in touch every now and then, so I wasn't surprised when she messaged me. We started to talk, nothing too special. I dismissed this fact as ordinary and moved on.

Then this afternoon, as I was busily jotting down points from the textbook in the library, another two people from the team messaged me!

*raises eyebrows*
Okay call this random, but this is far too freaky to be a coincidence.
I know it's my fault that I've failed to do my part and stay in contact with most of them. I miss them, true, but somehow I just can't find the time to be in touch with them. This is probably a reminder for me that they're still there, and that I should begin to, like, keep in touch, or something.

And upon that sudden strike of realization, I decided to start messaging some of the other members of the team, in the hopes of getting them to respond. I'm thinking that there should be like a reunion for us, or something, so everybody can meet up once again and just chill out together, and the end of this year. That would be sweet. *grins*

Being a part of the Warta Kota Muda team was one of the best highlights of my life, and I treasure my every moment with them.
Can't wait to see them again soon!

Oh, if any of you guys from WartaMuda happen to be reading my blog, please by any means respond to this post.
*laughs*

Gosh. All this reminiscing just made me miss my high school years even more.
No time for being mellow. I gotta focus.

*looks at the stack of MKC3220 lecture slides on the left-hand-side of the laptop*

Oh well.
First thing first.

2 comments:

agnesnakula said...

thanks mister je! ^^

unee said...

Good luck with the exam(s),J !.
Break a leg.
Just not yours.

* ah,yes.Must be my "funny-but-not-so-funny" night for me *.