Friday, February 27, 2009

...you think you're loving but you don't love me...

Currently listening to: Warwick Avenue - Duffy


Ladies and gentlemen, meet Comet and Rudolph.



Just to be clear, Comet would be the tiny, orange one on the left.
And that makes Rudolph the fat, semi-omnivorous one with elaborate fins and tail on the right.

They were under the care of my housemate Nat when I was away for the summer. Needless to say she did an excellent job taking care of these two adorable kiddies. She was actually the one who gave them names! Thanks heaps, housemate. *grins*
Now that I'm back in town, and also because she's flying off to Singapore tonight, the tank has been safely put back at its rightful place, at the corner of my room right by the window. I'm really glad to have them back here with me. I hope they feel the same way.

*laughs*

Oh. Speaking of which.
Keeping fish has always been a part of my family tradition, actually.

In fact, my house back in J-town has a koi pond. Dad takes care of the pond along with its complex filter system and all the resident kois inside. It's been there for about ten years and counting, and it has seen about four different batches of kois during its long course of existence.

Back then when I was still living at home, the pond used to be the one peaceful spot I could go to whenever I needed a little distraction, or relief. It used to be my sweet escape, a chance to hide from life's ups and downs, and just chill, if only for a while.

I would just sit there in silence by the edge of the pond, watching aimlessly as the kois gracefully swim around the pond, minding their own business. Sometimes I would take the time to feed them, either by scattering some fish feed on the water surface or feeding them straight from my hands. They were so tame and friendly that they even let me stroke their backs while they chew away!





I miss the pond.
I miss just sitting there, thinking, enjoying the soothing sounds of running water and taking in the ornate color combinations of the kois as I desperately try to cheer myself up.

And that's exactly why I chose to go on with the tradition and keep fish here in Melbourne.
At least Comet and Rudolph will keep me company whenever I'm lonely. And you know, having pets is actually psychologically healthy! *laughs*

I gotta do something with the tank's water pump, though. Last night the filter got clogged, and although I had cleaned it up this morning, I have to make sure it's still working properly.

So, yeah.

*squints eyes as room suddenly becomes bright*

Oh gosh.
Mother Nature should really consider taking a chill pill, or something. Seriously. I'm starting to think of my air-con as my main life support device at the moment; it keeps me cooled down just enough to prevent myself from blowing off like a fuse. I mean, it is so hot that just now when I checked, the spare Mars bar that I put on the kitchen bench yesterday melted.

Yeah. Good job on that one.
Thank God tomorrow's gonna be much much cooler with a shower or two.
Well it's about damn time don't you think?
*sighs*

It would be nice to, like, trade places with Comet and Rudolph right about now; at least they've got plenty of water to keep them cool all the time.
*leers at fish with envy*


...Whatever.
Lates!

No comments: