Tuesday, February 12, 2008

...counting down, NOT...

"Maybe everyone has someone in their lives they can't talk about..."
-Natasha Crenshaw, "Untouchable"


I took that catchy quote from a book I read (please perceive as shamelessly snatched from a shelf in Borders and took it to read *for free* in Gloria Jeans) this afternoon, which was titled "Untouchable".



It's actually part of a teenage high-school-setting series called "Private" written by Kate Brian, an American author. Exactly not the type of books I would usually pick up in a bookstore, get interested in, then take to the cashier queue, I know. I personally believe that reading dramatic stuff about American high-school fling is really not my thing. Yet I have this habit of always wanting to finish off a story once I begin, so yeah, there you go. Can I use the phrase 'curiosity kills the cat' here? *blinks*

In fact, I originally had started reading the books preceding this one since I was back in high school, but didn't have the time to continue reading because my exams were in the way and I was also busy with my moving out to Melbourne, so yeah, the thought of settling down and going through the other parts of the series was out of the picture for some time.

It wasn't until this afternoon, my mind still boggling in post-Sweeney-Todd euphoria status, that I finally got the chance to be face to face with the mind-gripping series once again, resuming where I had left.

Back to the quote...
Yes I do agree that almost everybody has someone, or something in their lives that they can't talk about, at least not openly. Be it a family member, a friend, a forbidden lover, a guilty pleasure, a hidden crime, an embarrassing moment, sexuality, whatever.

And it's not that they are not actually proud of those people, or things, that they hide from the rest of the world. Sometimes it's not up to them to decide what to and what not to disclose; sometimes reality forces them to do so, to hide and deny all the things, the beautiful things that make up who they are, knowing so well that they hurt inside yet they can't do anything about it.

Painful secrets, I might say.

Sometimes the world can be awfully prejudiced, narrow-minded, and unreceptive to the idea of diversity.
And in order to be able to be accepted, sometime we need to conform to the standard of uniformity. Even though that often means denying everything that we are, and turn ourselves into completely different figures just to protect our self-image and grant us a valid position in the big bad world. While all those brave people who dare to stand up and be different are shunned and excluded, being called outsiders.

Hence, it arguably should be true that people keep their own secrets which they can't share with the rest of the world. Including myself.
That's my own interpretation of the quote. Pardon the philosophical jabber, please. I just needed to get it off my mind. *bows down*

Anyway.
Went to watch Sweeney Todd with Agnes and Andrew today. The movie was cool, and I can honestly say that Johnny Depp is AMAZING. It would be a very stupid loophole if he wasn't up for Best Actor or something in this year's Academy Award nominations. That pretty much sums it all, doesn't it? *laughs*

Three days before the big judgment, and my heart is thumping, fast, anxious, hard.

I can't believe my holidays are nearly over. It somehow feels like so far I haven't done anything productive.
And, to be realistic, I really haven't, much. Well, at least I have helped increase this country's current GDP by doing a LOT of unnecessary purchases. *sighs*

Oooooooooohh my I'm starting to sound annoying and cynical.
I guess I'm not in the right mood to blog right now.
So see yah later for now? *smiles*

Takecare!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

me likey this entry :)

it amuses me sometimes, to see that we inevitably have to do almost everything just the way everybody else does..

bukannya manusia tuh punya keunikannya masing2 yah?
*omg, what did i just write?*