Thursday, March 06, 2008

...blinfold your eyes...

Currently listening to: I'll Be Your Love - Nicole Scherzinger


Shoot. Just realized that I forgot to apply my sunscreen lotion today. And I have been out and about all afternoon, surrendering myself under the scorching sun. That explains the newly-formed ugly tan line that's currently bordering itself around my right wrist, at the exact spot where my favorite pair of black-and-white rubber wristbands usually reside.

That's just about what's left of my previously far paler complexion. Well, not that I wasn't naturally dark in the first place, growing up in a tropical country where constant sunlight stays almost all year round. I was... yellow-skinned, to say the least. Tanned from too many hours of swimming during my younger days, but otherwise I was more of your average chubby not-too-Indo not-too-Chinese guy with nerdy specs, loud laughs, and lopsided smiles.

Well that was history. Although the pigment density of my skin hasn't actually intensified THAT much, I am indeed darker now. Brownier than ever, in lack of a better color-descriptive word. *snickers*
And during times like this I feel betrayed by my own mixture of social backgrounds; it somehow feels as if my skin color overrides my heritage.

Here we go again with stereotyping and the like. The old-fashioned, generalized view that all Chinese people are supposed to be small-eyed, thin-lipped, dark-haired, light-skinned, and excessively smiley.
Conformity has never been much of an issue for me, yet now that I'm considerably darker than I used to be, people are starting to question the authenticity of my otherwise-believable I'm-Chinese-Indonesian-descended claim. *laughs*

Ah, the hell with that. This way I have better chance of looking irresistibly exotic. *winks*
Right? Right??

*sounds of people throwing up on the background*

But yeah. Summer kills, literally; skin cells and young pigments among many. I've learned my lesson and will pay more attention to skin protection from now on. Apparently all this time I've been exposing too many body parts to the merciless, UV-powered sunlight. Not gonna do it again.

And oh, blame the kangaroos for the ever-thinning ozone layer above Australia.
Yeah. Blame 'em hopping creatures. 'Cuz they jump. 'Cuz they're smart. 'Cuz they're the ones who are most responsible for abusing natural resources, and for polluting the planet with all kinds of unnecessary chemicals, destructive substances, and excess waste. Not the world. Not Aussies. Not the global population. Not us.

Pardon me if you guys don't quite catch the sarcasm. I know I'm just being bastardly rude. *laughs* Slap me please.

..Alright alright. Enough for the aimless jabber, I think I'll have my dinner now. Empty stomach alert; no wonder I've been ranting.
Tomorrow's my day off, and I'm excited to catch up with my rest. YAY! *snaps fingers together*

Take care everyone! =D

PS: Just for your info... I have also signed up for the tertiary education publishing program thingy that's been causing long queues in front of Coffee HQ in the Campus Center these past two weeks. I decided to subscribe for daily newspaper copies of The Age (the subscription is valid for 40 academic weeks) for only A$20. Can you imagine that people? A$20 for fourty weeks?? *blinks* So now I will be even more news-updated! I guess... if I don't get tired of queueing to get my copy everyday and just stop coming over altogether. *laughs* Cheers!

No comments: