Thursday, March 13, 2008

...'cause she says no...

Currently listening to: Happily Ever After - Nicole Scherzinger


.weloveuni.
Gloria Jean's Coffees, Borders Chadstone, 12 March 2008


Talk about striving to be the world's biggest nerd.

I have privately promised myself that I'm gonna work my ass off this semester. With no exceptions. Well maybe not during Easter Break, but otherwise I sincerely vow to be good. With my course still in semi-disarray and my assignments all jumbled up, I somehow feel like I'm doing myself no good these past few weeks. And I'm gonna turn things around. *bows*

Was doing a little bit of academic work with Edina at Borders Chadstone's infamously-supercozy Gloria Jean's Coffees corner all evening yesterday when suddenly my ears curiously perked up, paying attention to one of the usually-random jazz/lounge tunes playing on the PA. I noticed some familiar lines from the song, particularly the catchy chorus hooks, as well as the melody, yet the arrangement and the voice didn't exactly ring any bells. Interesting.

I almost got carried away by the mysterious singer's ever-soothing voice, as if there was something eerie in the tune that was trying to like spark up my curiosity even further and urge me to do something about it. After exchanging some clueless stares, eyebrow-scrunching motions, and a few seconds of intently listening together with the piano maestro herself (a.k.a Edina), racking up our overworked brains in a desperate attempt to at least give this song an appropriate something to relate to, we finally came into our senses in revelation and yelled out, "Toxic!"

...Shocking, I know.

Agitated as we were, still lagging from the euphoria, I ran straight away to the info desk at the other side of the store and eagerly asked the poor officer there for more details regarding the song. Some silly laughs, unnecessary comments, and a few Aussie-style "Gday mate"s later, I strutted my way back to Edina's waiting arms *insert the image of me being shamelessly slapped here* with a name.

Yael Naim.



I personally think that this brilliant singer has just brought cover versions of successful songs to a whole new level. There's no trace of Britney in her version of Toxic. It's so original it can almost pass up as being a new song. Almost. Since after all, Toxic is like one of the best pop songs of all time, arguably, so unfamiliarity is clearly out of the picture. To not have heard this song at least once, you must be living in like a cave or something. *smirks*

So, yeah. Give it a try and kindly click on the link above.
C'mon, I know you want to. *winks*

And speaking of the former Princess of Pop...

I personally think that Britney's new video for "Break The Ice" is a major turn-off. I mean, the animation was nicely-done and all, and I have to admit that the video did provide me with something new from her. Yet I had previously been expecting some real action from the star herself, if you know what I mean. Thing is, I've been reading the news about her doing daily dance practices and stuff, so forgive me if I'd kept my hopes up too high for a moment.

Haven't seen the video yet? Please consult the ever-reliable YouTube. *laughs*
But yeah, after all, all animations aside, the song is still very good, though. It's already in my iPod's favorite tracks playlist now, as always. Guilty pleasure alert! Hahaha. =D

Alright alright. Almost done for the day.
With thirty-eight degrees outside and extremely tanned skin, I think I will refrain from going outdoors without an extra layer of protection for the rest of the day now. Sadly, I have to brave the big bad world out there. And I have to be well-occupied.

Dear Mother Nature, if you hear me...
Please show some mercy and give Australia its first glimpses of Autumn. With all do respect. Please. Before we the helpless people all surrender to our fate and literally melt under the sun.

Really. It's about damn time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA xD

waktu denger lagu itu, kita lagi ngobrolin apa ya je? lagi asik, terus tau2 diem, dengerin bagian refrain nya.. hahahahahahaha :p

anyway, jangan lupa, starbuucckkss :D