Sunday, March 16, 2008

...the things that you do...

I woke up with a slight headache this morning. The sunrays coming from the outside world beyond my protective blinds was seeping through the layers of my window curtains, falling upon my face.
ANNOYING. With caps. *frowns*

And now it's official: HEATWAVE attack across the southern parts of Australia.

It was in the papers yesterday, I think. For instance, Adelaide is now experiencing an eleven-day heatwave strike; that is, eleven consecutive days of above-thirty-degrees day temperatures. Inland Victoria is also intensely overheated. Not to mention the rural parts of South Australia as well as Victoria's uppermost areas just near NSW.

Well, same thing applies to dear ol' Melbourne, I suppose; this heatwave thingy has been going on for six or seven days, at least. And my body's protesting already. Keep this going for like three more days and I'll be severely dehydrated. Seriously. And I thought after living almost my entire life in one of the most tropical countries in the world, I could be able to like withstand the heat for a couple more extra days. *sighs*

Okay okay I should stop whining now.

Anyway. I was reading this awesomely captivating travel book titled "The Cities Book" at Borders yesterday, and I realized with pride that I have been to like almost every top twenty city listed in the book at least once. *grins from ear to ear*

Here's the cover of the book, image taken using my mediocre camera-phone.



The VERY very best, first-ranked city in the book, unsurprisingly, is Paris. Like, d-dduuuhh. *rolls eyes*
New York came second, if I remember correctly. Then London, then something else, then Sydney. The list goes on and on and on and ON, making my eyes glint with excitement as I continue reading.

And as I flipped through the pages of the book, with mixed feelings of amazement and longing, I found Melbourne! *jumps around*



The book says that Melbourne boasts its cafe culture, classy architecture, friendly people, multicultural social environment, great coffee, and countless festivals. It is, after all, the art and culture capital of Australia. So, yeah. That pretty much sums it all doesn't it? *laughs*

I guess ranked eleventh in the never-ending 200-something list is not bad. Not bad at all! Especially when you're competing with like hundreds and hundreds of beautiful cities around the globe. And being a semi-permanent temporary resident [whatever the hell that means] of this town, I can't help feeling somehow proud.

Aren't you proud, fellow Melbournians?
Heatwave and wacky weather aside, this city is indeed lovable. And I don't regret my decision in choosing to live here, down under. *winks*

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!! =D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kota-kota di Indonesia ada yang masuk ranking ga, J?

Anonymous said...

senangnyaaaa kita jadi salah satu orang yang pernah ngerasain tinggal di Melbourrrnneee :D
salah denk.. maksud gua, salah dua orang.. hahahahaha :p