Wednesday, April 16, 2008

...don't wanna wake up alone anymore...

Currently listening to: All The Love In The World - The Corrs


.shopaholics.
Pilgrim Melbourne Central, April 15 2008


So MelMel got her killer beautiful dress.
I got my own generous share of overly-full shopping bags.
And that concludes my already-out-of-control shopping spree detours for April 2008.

*stares hopelessly at worn-out, washed-out wallet and the remaining few dollars in it*

Oh well. At least this Winter I will superbly in-style.
At least I hope I will. *sighs*

But yeah. I gotta tell you, nothing beats new vintage stuff when it comes to doing the usual tedious work of inter-seasonal wardrobe rotation. And now I'm officially out of hangers. Well it doesn't matter much 'cuz I'm moving out soon anyway, but still. Anyone generous enough to donate some to this poor ol' man? *laughs*

Been hanging out a lot in Matheson library quite recently. Option One would be camping out somewhere in the middle of the seemingly-endless lines of study tables in quiet corners. Option Two, the slightly less nerdy one I suppose, would be strolling between aisles, bending down every once in a while, trying to find relevant books to read and - if possible, plausible, and feasible - borrow.

*insert sound of piles of hardcover books toppling down onto the pavement*

But yeah. I have probably been hanging out in the library a bit far too much lately. Well I haven't reached that crazy scary state when I can easily turn on the autopilot mode when maneuvering my way around, or when the librarians there start calling me by name, God forbid that from ever happening. *knocks on wood*

Yet I still think that I have been there too frequently that I managed to find my way through some previously-unthinkable brilliant spots that the mysterious building still has hidden from sight. After all, The Matheson is HUGE, with caps. And wandering around aimlessly inside it, with a warm regular skinny caramel latte in one hand and a postman bag hanging from a shoulder, can prove to be de-stressing, in a creepy nerdy sort of way. *winks*

So during one sunny-but-windy afternoon in paradise, I was stationing myself at one of the computers on the ground floor, browsing through random stuff and renewing my book loans online thanks to the ever-changing advances of the 21st century *bows*. Outta nowhere I just happened to have this random thought of googling some of my favorite Indonesian writers just because I miss reading Indonesian literature, and stumbled across some sites dedicated to Dewi Lestari a.k.a Dee, the amazing author. Excited as I was to read the news about her and her new soon-to-be-released projects, I absentmindedly got a bit carried away and as result typed her name into Matheson Library's search engine, then pressed the magic key ENTER.

Ta-dah!
There they were, those brilliant books, in all their glory, appeared neatly as listed in the library database.

And I was left utterly lost for words.
As in, like, I never thought Matheson Library has such an extensive collection of books that it even manages to have Dee's works. I repeat, Dee's works. Dewi Lestari's books, along with the works of many other revolutionary authors of modern Indonesian literature.

I mean, please, Indonesian literature! Stored, compiled, alphabetically ordered, inside one of the most respected academic libraries in the Southern Hemisphere! How COOL is that fellas? *gasps*

Well okay I might be overreacting just a little. Or a LOT. I admit that was so Phoebe Halliwell of me, making such a huge deal out of minor stuff. *blushes* But I never thought that the Indonesian culture is globally significant up until that life-defining moment.

And then I was like, of course the library has those books. Of course it has them ordered alphabetically. Of course I have to make special requests to borrow them first since some of them were unavailable.

Finally, to top it all off, I managed to go through and borrow not one, but FOUR of them!



From the top left to bottom right: They Say I'm A Monkey - Djenar Maesa Ayu, L.S.D.L.F - Syahmedi Dean, Filosofi Kopi - Dee, Supernova: Akar - Dee.
Aren't they adorable? *winks*

Thumbs up for Sir Louis Matheson Library. *claps*
This way I can better satisfy my longing for Indonesian literature for the time being.

But now, after the euphoria has died down, I solemnly promise that I will not hang around the library that much any more. At least not any time soon.

All revelations and hidden spots aside, as well as this fascinating finding, I still think that I'm more of a caffeine-driven coffee-club kinda person than a constantly-there-you-can-mistake-him-for-a-shelf library haunter.
Yeah, I think I should just stick to the former, no pun intended.

Occasional trips and late-night hole-ups
may still be feasible in the future, though, with exams coming up and what-have-you. So, let's just see how it goes. *grins*

Alrighty.
I gotta brace myself and hide under the covers now. It's gonna be a cruel drizzly night, and I should tuck myself in early. *shivers*
Southland trip tomorrow yippie! =]

Cheers!

2 comments:

MelMel said...

i love my dress! hahaha..thanx je for finding the dress..hehe..aniwei, mau dong bukunya..abis lo baca gw pinjem ahhhh! hehe..

MelMel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.