Sunday, April 13, 2008

...and as our lives change, come whatever...

Currently listening to: Graduation [Friends Forever] - Vitamin C


.thesmukiersreunion.
Sofia Camberwell, Melbourne, April 12 2008



What happens when you put together eighteen excited Asian teens coming from the same high school alumni batch in the same room and seat them down on a long table at a crowded corner of a jam-packed Italian restaurant at dinnertime on a Saturday?

Well I would say CHAOS. And of course an excessive dose of pure happiness. *laughs*
'Cuz that was more or less what happened during the memorable Smukiers Class of 2007 Reunion yesterday. Abundant food, crazy stuff, great fun, many photos, 'nuff said.

It was nice meeting them again after such a long time apart, sharing laughs and silly moments together like the good ol' times. Time flies, oh yeah it flies indeed! And it was actually quite a revelation as well, realizing that there are in fact THAT many people from our alumni studying in Melbourne right now.

Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with this thought and... well, I just can't believe that those sweet years of high school is now officially just another turned-over page among the many leaves of my life journal.

Indeed, we have all changed in our own different ways; our smiles are no longer cheeky, our cheesy jokes are no longer funny, our minds are no longer as much happy-go-lucky. Our lives no longer revolve around that dull-white office-like building located right in the middle of one of the busiest roads in Jakarta, with painfully-insufficient parking space, extremely-low flood-resistance, moderately bad food, and unhealthy air pollution. *shakes head*

We no longer spend our time complaining about fussy teachers, or discussing about smart plans for skipping classes, or gossiping about annoying classmates and such. We no longer desperately rush to class in the morning to join the homework-copying mass. We no longer talk about people behind their backs and accuse them of backstabbing us at the same time because that's just how things go in high school. We no longer turn into exasperated drama-queens whenever something goes wrong. We don't sneak out of the school complex to get food from the nearby warteg, or make up reasons to miss lessons just because we feel like doing so anymore.

I miss rushing down straight into the school radio booth on the third floor during every afternoon break, to turn up the beat and bring out my inner DJ, bringing the house down. I miss running around looking for deputy principals, desperate to get them to sign the practice permission letters for the choir. I miss being in the amazingly awesome choir. I miss sitting at my comfy corner in the class, neighboring Adeline, Henry, Lina, Anthony, and Fred. I miss goofing around. I miss being stupid.

I miss my old high-school self. *sighs*

Everything feels so painfully left behind right now, although if I count it right, not even a year has passed. Yet the thought of being part of the white-and-grey [the 'putih-abu-abu' in Indonesian] seems awfully obsolete.
Yet I do know that life goes on. And I have to be thankful for all those good memories I've experienced in the past.

They say that nothing beats high-school memories in life. And I believe in that dearly, thoroughly. I just hope that what's good stays forever. And no matter what happens, we will all be friends. For eternity.

Amen to that. *bows down sincerely*

So, for now, I'll see ya soon, fellas!

Thank you so much for the good time we've shared yesterday.
Look out for the next meeting yea? *winks*

Love you all!! <3

2 comments:

ReRe said...

waa..je..rame banget ya anak smukie di melbourne..pasti seru deh reuni2an gituuu..

kalo aku tiap hari reuni sama anak2 kos..hahaha...

tapi sama yang lainnya belom sempt ketemu2 lagi..parah banget sibuknya..pada ga kira2..

Brian said...

AWWW..

=']