Tuesday, October 30, 2007

...i got my eye on you...

Blackout-craze day three. Omigosh I'm starting to feel brainwashed.

Was reading through the latest edition of Lot's Wife, the one-and-only internal student-run tabloid of Monash University Clayton. I always like reading stuff that's in the tabloid, partly because the articles are somewhat dim-witted yet crackingly funny, and those writers who contribute to the tabloid are all smart and witty in their own special ways. It's outspoken, often sarcastic, and free-spirited.

Yeah, I was skimming through the latest edition, cracking up every once in a while, feeling occasionally Aussie-ish while at one point recognizing the upcoming election this November, then suddenly I came to realization that the Lot's Wife edition I was reading actually was the supposedly LAST edition of the tabloid. Evident from the title, "THE LAST HURRAH". (Hurrah is the Oz slang for Hooray, if I'm not mistaken).

Well, censorship is always a major issue for every form of published media. Reminds me of those good ol' times part-timing as a journalist back in J-Town, when my boss constantly reminded me of ethics and censor-possible materials contained in my work. Yeah, Lot's Wife would be shut down temporarily because its funding is suspended by the MSA due to the presence of a supposedly-offensive material in its publication. Well, not gonna go into details here, but basically that's the issue.

Personally, I don't think this is fair. The whole idea of Lot's Wife being present is actually to provide Monash Uni Clayton students with some sort of a place to express their views and opinions about stuff that concerns all. And to be able to serve that function, it HAS to be honest. And frank. And liberal. And straightforward. Hell yeah it can be awfully biased sometimes, but aren't we all? *sighs*

Even in a country as free-willed and open-minded as Australia, minor opinionated issues like this can sometimes get in the way. Free press is the new groove, people. Might as well go back to the era of communism straight away. Well I have to add that I am not defending anyone here. I'm merely expressing my view.

So, yeah. I was kinda shocked to find out that the tabloid is now put on hold, at least temporarily. Even the last edition is independently-funded by contributors and friends.
*sighs*

Now I am so gonna miss Lot's Wife. Can no longer grab a free copy from that worn-out newsstand in front of Monash Radio on the way back to class from lunch.
But wait. Let's just hope that the suspension thingy is canceled or something. That way I won't feel so sad. Yeah I know I'm exaggerating here.

Anyways.
As I was mentioning to Ian and Jacelyn during this afternoon's Buyer Behavior tute, my brain doesn't seem to be willing to cooperate with my mood these days. It's like I really, REALLY want to start doing some work, but my brain doesn't seem wanting to boot up and get excited about that, AT ALL. I am super-slow in digesting information these days, common ones let alone academic-related lectures and what-have-you. Dunno why, but it feels like my senses are still set on that super-happy holiday-mood, and I don't know how to, well, reset the clock and get back to speed, metaphorically speaking.

Anyone knows how to boost up a lazy brain? *blinks*
Let's just hope this lemot-ness *in lack of a better word* doesn't linger for weeks. Otherwise I will as well be dead lagging on my work. *sighs*

Hugs 'n kisses people!!
Hahahahahahhaha. Lates. =D

1 comment:

K said...

It's the case in every country, for no country is ever really free.
And I do believe that censorship, to certain extend, is good for the long term even though painful initially.

But then.. I don't know the case, so..
Won't comment further!

Cheers
K